I've always loved how Sprogblogger writes about days of grace - giving thanks each day, even for things that seem small. I preached a sermon once about the Jewish tradition of naming 100 Barakot - 100 'thank-you's' each day. Getting to 100 is pretty all-consuming, which is pretty much the point.
So, I may not get to 100. But today is my birthday (38! yikes) and it feels like a good day to say thanks. For:
1. Baby girl has been consistently sleeping from 11:30pm or so until 7:00am or so for the past three weeks. There is a God. And yes, I realize that this might change at any time. So I'm enjoying while it lasts.
2. My husband is going to make a carrot cake for me today. This should be 1.) tasty and 2.) entertaining.
3. I made an appointment for a massage today. Hallelujah.
4. Got to see the Harry Potter exhibition last week. AWESOME. And, in honor of the fun, I have embarked on a HP-watching marathon during which I can exclaim routinely, "I saw that costume at the exhibition!" without being embarrassed because, you know, this is a nice thing about 11-week old babies: they are not very judgmental.
5. I am still delighted every morning when I take a shower and don't throw up afterward. Nine months of throwing up is hard to get over.
6. Tonight my parents are taking Baby Girl overnight. Excellent birthday present. I am a little nervous and suspect that I might actually get less sleep without her, but they are SO EXCITED about this that I feel like I'm doing them a favor. Very "O. Henry-Gift of the Magi" over here.
7. Found a really good consignment store yesterday. Four outfits for Baby Girl = $20. Sweet.
8. My nipples are no longer sore-as-hell. Sometimes they are sore-as-purgatory, but this is a vast improvement.
9. Have I mentioned the Baby Girl smiles? Oh, the smiles. I would do anything for one of those. Luckily, they happen pretty frequently.
10. Since I can hear her waking up from the morning nap, I'll just mention one more: cute boots as a birthday present. Loves me some boots.